Thursday, May 27, 2010

My Story

Welcome to Kaitlin Rose Music. Thanks for stopping by.

I'll try to keep this introduction short and sweet for ya.

I began playing guitar just before my sixteenth birthday. 

Bored out of my mind and unable to drive, I found my mom's old Alvarez guitar in the closet one day. By that afternoon, I'd figured out the theme song to the Godfather. I thought played guitar seemed simple enough.

Over the next few years I practiced a lot, and even began writing my own songs. The Birthday Song, written out of frustration over another disappointing birthday, is still one of my favorites today:

"Sixteen is only a year from now. A car would be any teenagers biggest hope. You ask and receive a crinkled brow, talk about it again, I'm sure they'd push you down that slope...Spoon your ice-cream into your mouth, making funny faces like you're having loads of fun."


I was known for my love of singing and playing guitar in high school, playing at talent shows and in theater. 

When I was eighteen, my grandmother took me to Vancouver, B.C. where I played a total of 13 different venues and open-mics in two weeks.

Bainbridge Island, (near Seattle) became home for a few years, where I met and opened for Rachel Harrington and Holly Figeroa.

My songwriting really started to mature after I turned 21. See The Drifter above for reference. Gone were the days of Jewel and Ani Difranco. I moved on to Bob Dylan and Neil Young.

Then, upon moving back home, I was introduced to a local bar in Kalamazoo called Louie's. Every other Wendesday I played alongside Frankie Ballard, singing duets like Jackson by Johnny Cash and June Carter. It was a blast.

Currently, I'm engaged, a mother and steadfast home birth advocate over the site I created after my own successful home birth, Bring Birth Home.

I had to create Kaitlin Rose Music because I've never been the type to only do one thing. I don't fit myeslf into a box or a label. I like diversity and flexibility.

Check out my YouTube channel for live performances & stay tuned for updates as I attempt to live a life filled to the brim with the creation of ideas, love, recipes, laughter and good music.

4 comments:

  1. It's OK to have more than one passion. In fact, I think it's healthy :) Keep following your dreams. You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Cherylyn! You're so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all you share from your heart.

    ReplyDelete